Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Book Talk Tuesday and Wild about Books Wednesday: "How I Became A Pirate"

ARRRGH...I have been MIA lately! Sorry about that! I started the new school year at the beginning of August and I’ve been racing to stay caught up ever since. I am finally starting to get a break from the influx of IEP meetings, so hopefully my blog won’t feel neglected for much longer! Now...down to business...

Today I am linking up with Mrs’ Jump’s Class for Book Talk Tuesday and with Speech is sweet for Wild about books Wednesday! Since “Talk like a pirate” day is Friday, September 19th, we are focusing on “How I Became A Pirate” by Melinda Long. 
In this exciting pirate tale, Jeremy Jacob, befriends Braid Beard and his crew and they embark on an exciting journey! 
Jeremy loves all of the things that pirate’s don’t have to do, like eat spinach and carrots, take baths, brush their teeth or even change into pajamas! 
But when Braid Beard won’t tuck him in or read him a story he starts to change his mind! Maybe being a pirate isn’t so great after all! 
But, shiver me timbers, Jeremy Jacob saves the day! After a rather scary storm, he helps the pirates bury their treasure in his backyard! 
Will Jeremy Jacob run the jolly roger up yonder pole? 

I love all of the articulation, and expressive/receptive language skills that can be addressed using this book! I am using my new book companion, “A Book Companion For...How I Became A Pirate”, to address a ton of different skills! Look at everything included in this book companion!!! Some of the things we are working on include; story elements, comprehension questions, yes/no questions, object functions, synonyms, antonyms, plural nouns, past tense verbs, describing, compare/contrasting and of course /r/ sounds! Click the link below and sail over to my TPT store so you can lay claim to some booty!




See you in the store!


The Speech Owl


6 comments:

  1. I love this book! I have been using it all week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Kim! I started it last week and will probably carryover into next week!

      Delete
  2. This seems to be a popular book! I may have to buy it for next year; especially since there is a book companion!
    http://oldschoolspeech.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it is fantastic! My kids are absolutely loving it! I've already started thinking about a book companion for "Pirates Don't Change Diapers"!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking up! I've been using this book all week too. My students are lovin' the pirate theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too Scarlett! We are having so much fun with it!

      Delete