Wednesday, September 24, 2014

There was an old Lady..Book talk Tuesday and Wild About Books Wednesday

What better way to bring in fall than with “There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves” by Lucille Colandro?! Well....actually...I can think of a few better ways (like some good ol’ football), but we are going to settle for this fantastic book! Today I am linking up with Mrs. Jump’s class for “Book Talk Tuesday” and with Scarlett over at Speech Is Sweet for “Wild about books Wednesday”! 

“There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves” is a great way to work on a ton  of language concepts! 
In this book, the old lady swallows some crazy things...leaves, shirts, pumpkins, poles and a whole lot more! 
Can you guess what she is going to sneeze out at the end of the book? Yup... great inferencing skills... you’re right... It's a... SCARECROW!!!!!
Each page is chock full of “why” questions, labeling basic vocabulary and rhyming words!

How are we going to use this book in therapy this week? (Just click on any of the images below to head over to my TPT store and grab the book companion.)
1) We are going to receptively identify basic vocabulary for my non-verbal/limited verbal students, use our AAC devices to label basic vocabulary and/or expressively label basic vocabulary for my verbal students. 
2) We are going to sequence  and retell the story after we finish reading it.
3) We are going to answer yes/no questions.
4) We are going to answer “why” question.
5) We are going to identify and/or produce rhyming words.
6) We are going to decide “what does not belong” and determine why it doesn’t belong with the others. 
7) AND...We are going to work on adding plural -s to nouns.
I think we have a full week ahead of us! I Can’t wait for my students to see what the old lady creates from all of the silly things she eats! We may even have to make our very own scarecrows! 

How are you celebrating the start to fall?!

The  Speech Owl

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for linking up! I love this book series and your companion looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlett! I'm so glad you have this linky party every week! Now that I'm back in my groove (sort of), I'm hoping to link up more frequently!

      Delete
  2. I love the Little Old Lady book series! Your book companion looks great too! I like the old lady graphics you used :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim! I love them too! These books are great for so many things! And thanks for mentioning the graphics...I drew them all myself! I love drawing my own graphics, just don't always have the time.

      Delete
  3. I love all of the Old Lady books; there's so much language going on in them! I just read your reply to Kim: amazing that you drew all of the graphics yourself! What a talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book and can't wait to use it soon! :) That is awesome that you draw graphics! I would love to learn sometime- if only we could make more time in the day haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Brittany! Seriously, drawing the graphics is currently my de-stressed!

      Delete