Friday, October 24, 2014

A Glimpse at my week!

This was one WILD week! Good news...it’s FRIDAY!!!! Today I am linking up with Doodle Bug’s Teaching for “Five for Friday”! This a fantastic linky party where you post five random things from your week. 
I’m also linking up with Old School Speech for “Week In Review”.

Here’s a glimpse at my week...
        We started a new book this week     and it began with a bang! 
The kids love “Pumpkin Soup” and so do I!!! We are using my book companion to help us with vocabulary, sequencing, synonyms, antonyms, and more. Click here to see a recent blog post about this book. Click here (or on the picture) to check out this book companion in my TPT store. 

This week in our lifeskills SLP/OT group we talked about pumpkins, pumpkins, pumpkins!! We discussed facts about pumpkins, the lifecycle of a pumpkin and even the parts of a pumpkin. I made a simple book for us to read...some kids were reading along, some kids were answering comprehension questions and some kids were matching. 
Then we made pumpkins with orange glitter glue, yarn and pumpkin seeds! It was a blast!
I have a few kids who are difficult to keep motivated. These kids love to color but also require a lot of attention. Sometimes they require so much attention that marking data is difficult. I think I came up with a fantastic solution...we used my answer and cover reinforcer worksheets (found in the Pumpkin Soup Book Companion mentioned above). Each kiddo chose the sheet they wanted to use and I placed 3 dry erase markers on the table (green, blue and pink). When the kids answered a question I told them what color they needed to use to color in a circle (green=correct answer, blue=prompt needed, pink=incorrect). When we were all done with that skill, I recorded the data based on their colored dots. 
It worked brilliantly! I love it when an idea works out! BONUS...they practiced listening and following directions!!!
Research, research, research...decreasing lateralization of “sh” and “ch”... I have tried every trick I know, so I am spending my free time trying to come up with new strategies to decrease lateralization of these sounds. 
My last piece of randomness is a personal one! I am so excited to have our monthly BUNCO game tonight...and...my sister is coming to visit. I can’t wait for her to get here! We have a fun weekend ahead of us! We are buying a baby crib (for her), the fabric for the baby bedding and we are going to see Chicago! I can’t wait!

Well, that’s what’s going on around here! How was your week?

See you soon!

The Speech Owl

5 comments:

  1. I love reading Pumpkin Soup with my students and my own kids! Such a great book. :) Your little book is so creative. Thanks for sharing your knowledge! ;)
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen! Pumpkin Soup is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  2. Love it when an idea works out, especially when it takes data for you! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please sure any great tips for lateralization (especially s, sh, and ch) that you find! I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, I haven't found anything that is working great yet! She is a tough case! I will keep you posted! :)

      Delete